Friday, October 26, 2012

Pumpkin Custard for Pie Filling

I tried using organic pumpkin filling from a can, and no matter what "they" say, there is a HUGE difference!!! So I will buy fresh organic pumpkin from the local farmer's market, cut it, deseed (is that a word?) it, wash it, oven roast it, peel it, and puree it, any day for the delicious flavor it has.  I tried my darnedest to remember how much of each of these ingredients I used to make this "custard" so here goes, and again, you can add, deduct, and change this up to make it suit you...... Please keep in mind that I don't like my pumpkin pie very sweet, probably because I grew up in the south on sweet potato pie which is a whole different thing (more on that later), so you may decide to make it sweeter, or may decide to use white or brown sugar, I also have mine with whipping cream on top, again not too sweet, and sweetened with maple syrup.  : )

3      cups fresh pumpkin puree
3/4   cup heavy whipping cream
2      large eggs
1      tablespoon honey
1      scant tablespoon molasses
2      teaspoons vanilla
2      teaspoons pumpkin pie spice

Add ingredients to food processor and puree until well combined, taste to determine if sweet enough or spicy enough, adjust accordingly.  Fill prepared shell (see recipe below).  Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, cool on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment