Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Creamy Pumpkin Tomato Bisque Soup

On Sunday morning at 5:00 the queen (Bella) woke me up, and even though I attempted (and that is the operative word here, attempted) to coax her to stay in bed, she began to dance and sing (well, bark) that she was happy and wanted to get up and eat!!  So I schlepped into the kitchen to prepare my coffee and her breakfast; this week it was a special "cake".  While my coffee is brewing I'm in my head  formulating the list for my trek to the Sunday Farmer's Market; farm fresh fertile eggs, green leafy vegetables, apples, maybe some peaches, and some mushrooms.  I decided to puree the pumpkin that I roasted yesterday so that I can make some soup today and some other "pumpkiney" things, yet to be determined prior to heading out to the market since I'm up so early.  As I'm perusing the shelves and the door of my refrigerator, I realize that I have a box of tomato bisque soup that I have had two bowls from and now I need to "re-purpose" the left over soup.  Since I'm still having my Autumn love affair with pumpkins; I decided these two would be a nice combination.  After some other additions, several taste tests, and a dash of this and a dash of that, this is the finished product I came up with, and by the time it was all over and done with I had eaten my breakfast as well!!!  As I'm licking the last drop from my spoon, I check the clock on the stove and wonder where has the time gone?  I dash into the living room to put my lap top to "sleep" so that I can shower and get to the market and the time on my lap top is different than the time on the stove, (do you know where I'm going with this?) ah, yes, daylight savings time, we gained an hour overnight, just like magic, and Bella forgot to set the clocks back!!!  You see, to her it doesn't matter what time the clocks register, she knows what time it is, so her 5:00 was really a sleep in 'till 6:00.  It was a laughable start to the day.

1      tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2   onion, finely chopped
2      tablespoons maple syrup
2      tablespoons tomato paste
11/2  cups vegetable broth (you could use chicken broth)
2      cups pumpkin puree
11/2   cups tomato cream bisque soup (or regular tomato soup would be fine)
1/2   cup applesauce, mashed (my homemade, see the recipe posted earlier)
1      tablespoon fresh lime-thyme
1      teaspoon ground roasted garlic
11/2   teaspoon sea salt
1/4   teaspoon celery salt
dash of: cayenne, paprika, and coriander


In a soup pot over medium heat; add vegetable oil, when oil is hot, add onion and saute until onion is translucent, add tomato paste and maple syrup, stir well, add the broth, stir well, add the pumpkin, tomato soup, apple sauce, and seasonings, stir, cover, and simmer until all the flavors are incorporated.  Adjust the seasonings to your taste, puree the soup in a blender or food processor and serve.  Enjoy!  : )   -Noni















No comments:

Post a Comment