Friday, November 2, 2012

Pumpkin Streusel Muffins

As promised, here is the recipe.  Yesterday is the first time I have made these muffins and they are worthy of  posting on the blog.  I found this recipe on line and.......that's right, I "tweaked" it to my liking.  As I usually add; you have the option to do the same.  These muffins are so moist and delish I ate one before it had completely cooled!!!  There are many cooks that believe there is no difference between canned pumpkin and fresh pumpkin and I have to say that I strongly disagree.  I purchased some organic canned pumpkin (not squash) this year and tried it in a recipe and I must say it was sub-par.  So my belief about anything canned being inferior remains intact.  You, however, must be the judge for yourself.  Preparing fresh pumpkin does take some time, so my suggestion is to do it on a cool autumn day so you can heat your kitchen with your oven; roast your pumpkin, roast several pumpkins at a time, as the pumpkin will freeze, then you have some on hand later.

For the muffins:

2 3/4      cups flour (I used a combination of whole wheat, spelt, kamut, and oat flours)
1/2         cups oats
4            tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
2            teaspoons baking soda
1            teaspoon baking powder
1            teaspoon salt (I used Kosher)
2            cups pumpkin puree (I used homemade)
1/2         cup brown sugar
3            tablespoons molasses
2 to 3     tablespoons maple syrup (sweeten to your taste)
1/3         cup vegetable oil
1/2         cup apple sauce
3            eggs
1            teaspoon vanilla

Whisk the first 5 ingredients in a bowl.  Whisk the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl.  Stir the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture.

For the Streusel:

1/2         cup brown sugar
4            tablespoons butter
4            tablespoons oats
4            tablespoons flour

Beat sugar and butter until smooth and creamy, whisk oats and flour with a fork into butter mixture until topping is crumbly.

Pour batter into lined muffin tins, sprinkle with streusel (I recommend gently pressing it in a little), bake at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick test is clean.  If you would like more sweetness you could top with a cream cheese frosting.  See the butter cream cheese frosting recipe posted in October 2012.  Happy Autumn!!!!!  : )  -Noni








No comments:

Post a Comment