Saturday, November 10, 2012

Persimmon Cookies

My mother liked lots of fruits that I really didn't care for, like persimmons, papayas, guavas, mangoes, I really thought they were "yucky" and I think a lot of it had to do with the texture of the fruit and maybe the "muskiness" as well.  When I went to the farmer's market last Sunday; many of the booths has persimmons, one of them was passing out samples; so I asked the woman for a taste, to my surprise, it was delightful!  I asked her to choose two that were ripe and purchased them to take home and eat.  Once I got them home; fear set in, what was I going to do with them?  When my son came over for dinner on Wednesday night, I asked him if he would like me to cut one open to have for dinner; he hesitated and then declared that he wasn't sure that he liked them.  lol!  This morning I got up and after researching on the internet; still feeling reluctant; I cut open the softest one, it was a beautiful color, and very soft, gooey, and slimy on the inside.  I freaked out!!!  I cut open the other one and it was firm and a different color; it tasted good and the soft one tasted sweet and good as well.  I went on line to search for a recipe to try; most recipes were for persimmon pudding, which is really like a bread, after some searching, I found a cookie recipe to try.  And if you have been reading this blog, you know that I'm going to "tweak" it and change it up to suit my dietary style; which I did.  I substituted honey for the sugar; using 1/2 the amount and used 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour and 1 cup Oat Flour for the 2 cups AP Flour (you can use any combination of flours that you wish), other than that, I followed the recipe.  I loved the outcome, the cookies remind me of the islands because of the spices they are very nice with tea in the afternoon to satisfy your sweet tooth!  Enjoy!  : )    -Noni

2      ripe persimmons, pureed
1      teaspoon baking soda
1     cup whole wheat flour
1     cup oat flour
1/2   teaspoon cinnamon
1/2   teaspoon cloves
1/2   teaspoon nutmeg
1/2   teaspoon salt
1      egg
1/2   cup butter
1/2   cup honey
1      cup raisins
1      cup walnuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 350

Dissolve baking soda in pureed persimmons and set aside.
Sift flours, spices, and salt together, set aside.
Cream honey and butter together, beat in egg, add persimmon.  Stir in dry ingredients.  Stir in nuts and raisins.
Drop by teaspoon onto greased baking pan.  Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.






No comments:

Post a Comment