Thursday, November 15, 2012

Roasted Acorn Squash Rings

Last night was Wednesday night, usually dinner at my house with my son and his girl friend.  It's a wonderful time for me because they are my "testers" and are ardent fans of my cooking and baking.  Moving forward into my Autumn squash phase; I decided to make something venturesome with acorn squash.  I hadn't really planned a "dinner" so I asked them if they would like to have breakfast for dinner, they agreed with the plan. I had purchased bacon from the butcher for the first time in more years than I can remember and we planned on having bacon, the big apple pancake, and this recipe.  We all got excited as we began to discuss the dinner; or maybe it was just me who got excited, not sure about that (?)  Well, anyway we all participated in the preparation of dinner and fun was had by all.......So, for the recipe:

1         medium acorn squash
1/2      cup quinoa, cooked in 1 cup vegetable broth
1         tablespoon olive oil
1/2      large onion, diced
1         medium apple, diced
1/4      cup dried cranberries, chopped
2         tablespoons walnuts, chopped
1/3      cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1-2      teaspoons fresh sage, minced
1         egg, whisked
2         teaspoon butter, melted
2         teaspoons maple syrup
salt and pepper to taste
cooking spray

Preheat oven to 375.  Using olive oil mister; spray baking sheet.

Cut acorn squash in 2 inch rounds, remove seeds, and place on baking sheet.  Melt butter; mix with maple syrup and brush the top and sides of the squash, set aside.
Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat, add onion, cook for about 10 minutes or until it begins to brown, add apple, cook for about 5 minutes or until soft.  Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
Combine quinoa, onion and apple mixture, cheese, walnuts, cranberries, egg, sage, and salt and pepper; mix well.  Fill each squash ring with as much mixture without overflowing.  Spray centers with cooking spray.  Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until tops are golden brown and squash is tender.  Enjoy   : )  -Noni









No comments:

Post a Comment