Thursday, October 18, 2012

Chicken Borscht (sorta)

I'm home from work today, my second day due to being sick and tired; please don't confuse that with sick and tired of being sick and tired.....just sick and tired.  I woke up this morning with a fever and knew that I needed something to eat other than eggs and what was already prepared in the fridge (which wasn't much).  The beauty and the problem about the way I eat is that your friends and family aren't able just to "pick up something" for you to eat when you are unable to cook.  So I got up this morning and prepared this dish in "shifts".  Normally Borscht would have beef or pork,carrots, potatoes, turnips, stewed tomatoes and sugar in it.  This is modified for what I have on hand and what I am allowed to eat in Phase III; since I'm still plugging away on the HCG diet.   : )

2-4  cups vegetable or chicken stock
4-6  chicken thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
1      large leek using the stalk as well
1/2   head red cabbage, chopped
1/4   head Napa cabbage, chopped
1/2   small onion, chopped
2     cloves garlic, minced
2     raw beets, peeled and grated
1/4  squash, raw, peeled, and cut
1     stalks celery, chopped
2     Tablespoons tomato paste
2     medium fresh tomatoes, chopped
1/4  cup apple cider vinegar
3-5 Tablespoons cooking wine
1     Tablespoon lime-thyme
1     teaspoon basil
1     teaspoon sea salt
1/2  teaspoon citrus pepper

In a large soup pot, bring the stock to boil over medium heat, add the chicken, and reduce to a simmer, cook for about 15 minutes or until tender, remove the chicken to add back in during the last 15 minutes of cooking.  Add the other ingredients to the stock; beginning with the heartiest cooking the longest and the softest cooking the shortest period of time and cook on simmer about 1 to 2 hours or until all the vegetables are cooked, season to taste and serve with a dollop of sour cream or......your guessed it.... yogurt; I use my homemade yogurt.  : )
(serve in a white bowl....beautiful!)

Keep in mind that each cook can make any recipe their own by using their favorite spices, herbs, vegetables, grains, and methods.  I am so thankful to all the other cooks that shared their family recipes with me so that I was able to "tweak" them to become mine and now I can share them with you!  I hope you enjoy them as much as my family, my friends, and I do.  Bon Appetite.



No comments:

Post a Comment