Sunday, October 7, 2012

Grain Free Sugar Free no bake pie crust

I am currently on Phase III of the HCG diet; having completed Phase II; I lost 15 pounds in 30 days.  I tried the diet last spring lost 12 pounds then cheated and went from Phase II to eating anything I wanted.......guess what?  Yep, I gained the 12 back and almost 10 more!!!!  So this time I really was committed to losing the weight, completing Phase II, and Phase III, so that I can get to the maintenance phase.  So far, so good.  It is fall and I have been craving pie!!!!  Especially Pumpkin pie.  The issues are: no sugars except stevia (yuck) and sweet'n'low (really not good for you) and I like to use maple syrup and molasses with fresh pumpkins for my pie.  I can add pumpkin (starches) and sugars back into my diet in 2 1/2 weeks, so for now I'm going to make an apple pie. Because apples are so naturally sweet nothing will need to be added.  I searched on line and found this recipe.  After I began to soak (nuts don't sprout) the almonds; I realized that I could have used almond flour to make a conventional  crust for the pie, however, I'm excited about this recipe.

2      cups raw walnuts, almonds, or pecans
1/2   cup dried dates; soaked for a few hours to soften
3/4   teaspoon cinnamon
1/2   teaspoon cardamon
1/4   teaspoon nutmeg
Dash of sea salt

Begin by soaking the almonds in lightly salted water overnight.  Rinse nuts sprinkle with a little salt and toast in the oven.  Blend the nuts and dates in a food processor, then add the spices and dash of salt and blend well.  Distribute the mixture evenly in the bottom of a 8" to 10" pie plate.  Make sure to cover all areas of the plate are covered then press the "crust" into the plate, compacted it so that it will hold together well.  Just fill with what ever fruit or cream mixture you want.  If using a "wet" fruit or filling; the crust may get soggy.  : )






















No comments:

Post a Comment