Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Mom's Cherry Cream Pie

I think it is interesting that the first recipe I determine to post is this pie recipe.  Do you think it may have something to do with the fact that I haven't eaten sugar or any sweeteners in over a month???  This pie has many fond memories for me.  One of the coolest was when I was 11; my mother made this pie for desert (we always had desert) and my 13 year old brother (lovingly referred to as "Garbage Gut" because there wasn't a food that he wouldn't eat) made the suggestion that we cut the pie into 1/4's and just eat the pie for dinner.  My father was very British and very strict; so imagine my utter shock when he stated, "okay, however, you must finish the entire 1/4 of the pie.  My mother and I (being sensible, or chicken not sure which) opted to eat dinner and have a "regular" sized piece of pie for desert.  My father and brother ate their 1/4 pie and proceeded to eat dinner afterwards!!!!!!  Enjoy..... whether you have it for dinner or desert.



1 baked pie crust
1 can chilled cherry pie filling (or any berry filling)
1 can condensed milk
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 package "Dream Whip" prepared

Combine condensed milk, lemon juice, almond and vanilla extracts; stir until mixture thickens.  Gently fold in Dream Whip and spoon into baked pie shell.  Chill in the refrigerator for 4 to 6 hours or until completely set.  Add pie filling prior to serving.

YUM!!!!  This pie is really rich and filling.  I generally serve the pie and allow each person to put the fruit on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment