Sunday, October 28, 2012

Peach Yogurt Cake

I know..........WHAT??????  First of all, let me start by saying that I don't live in Georgia, but if I did, it would be all about peaches and pecans!!!!  This cake is all about peaches and only a little about pecans.  : )  Let's talk about peaches.  I live in Northern California and shop for my fruits and nuts at my favorite local Sunday farmers market; it's the best, the growers come from at least a 50 mile radius and the crops are incredible!!!!  The peaches are rarely ripened, (how could they be???) they have to travel and they would be ruined by the time they arrived at market in the early morning after being picked the day before.  So even though I have been craving peaches all week; I know I will come home, put them in a paper bag, in a cool dark place for a few days while they ripen.  I will check them in maybe two days and possibly find one that I can eat and the rest will need a few more days to ripen!  I will take the ripened one out of the bag, hold it up to my nose and take in it's fresh sweet aroma, wash it gently in cool water, pat it dry, slice it thinly into a bowl, make some fresh whipping cream with vanilla and agave, and name it "breakfast". Two days later I check the bag, and "Lo and Behold!" at least 2 or 3 peaches have "bad" spots on them and they have over-ripened and now I must quickly decide what I'm to do with the remainder of the peaches.  Let's see.......hum......cobbler, crisp, freeze, tarts, pie, crumble, or ???????  So today I found this recipe for this cake and I thought why not, I have.....you guessed it, my homemade yogurt in the refrigerator, so why not combine the two.  And yes, I completely changed it up, from the flour, sugar, spices, well most of it, here's what I came up with and it was lovely.....  I was pleasantly surprised and delighted that the yogurt made the cake so light and fluffy, who knew?!!!  You could make a "drizzle" for the top of this cake and serve it warm, serve it with whipped cream, or frozen yogurt, or ice cream, or warm it for breakfast.   I mistakenly left in on the counter overnight and it was fine the next morning so it appears to not need refrigeration. Enjoy     : )


3        cups roughly chopped peaches
11/2   cups full fat yogurt
1/2     cup olive oil
1/3     cup honey
3        eggs
1/1/2  teaspoon vanilla
21/2   cups flour
21/2   teaspoons baking soda
1/2     teaspoon salt
1/2     teaspoon ginger
1/4     teaspoon cloves
1/4     teaspoon nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease a 9 inch springform pan with cooking spray or oil.
Mix together the yogurt, oil, honey, eggs, and vanilla until well blended.  In a separate bowl whisk together the dry ingredients, add to the yogurt mixture and mix until no large lumps remain.  Fold in peaches.  Pour into prepared pan, bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick test comes out clean.  Check cake at 40 minutes, if top is brown, cover with foil to prevent further browning.  Remove from oven and place on rack to cool, let cool at least 30 minutes before removing from pan (unspring at 20 minutes).  I cut up and dry roasted pecans on stove top to sprinkle on top of each piece of cake before serving.





No comments:

Post a Comment