Thursday, October 25, 2012

Pie Crust

This is a simple and easy pie crust recipe from one of my favorite and witty chefs; Chef John.  I used this recipe for a pumpkin pie today using only 1/2 of the recipe since the recipe is for a double crust.  I used a mixture of whole grain flours:  whole wheat pastry flour, oat flour, amaranth flour, almond flour, and spelt flour.  You can experiment with different flours and learn that some absorb more liquid than others and some have nuttier or earthier flavors than others; however, for me it can be a pleasant surprise when I discover a wonderful combination that becomes a "go to" recipe.

21/2      cups flour
1           cup unsalted butter - chilled, cut into tablespoon sized pieces
1/2        teaspoon salt
7           tablespoons ice water
1           tablespoon cider vinegar

Combine flour, salt, and butter in food processor.  Pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs, about 10 1-second pulses.
Stir the ice water and vinegar in a small bowl.
Pour half the water and vinegar mixture into the flour mixture.  Pulse to combine, about 3 1-second pulses.  Pour in remaining water and vinegar mixture.  Pulse until mixture just starts to come together, about 8 1-second pulses.
Turn dough out onto a wooden floured surface, pat into round shape and divide into half, form each half into a disc; about 5 inches in width.  Wrap each disc in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.  Bake at 350 20 to 30 minutes

Note:  If you use salted butter you can omit the salt from the dry ingredients.  I roll my dough out about 2 inches larger than my pie dish so that I can form a "fluted" crust.





No comments:

Post a Comment